Saturday 29 December 2012

201 days left now...



... and today I really had time to think of what I'm supposed to do (The Run - 140 miles). While running today I had some funny thoughts about my running and why I do run. As usual I went up at 06:00 when the dogs wake me up. Ate my breakfast and checked out that todays Tour de Ski on TV begins 13:05. Well, I thought, lots of time left so perhaps Elton and I might run before TV.

My daughter Julia woke up to go to work and I saw the opportunity to follow her in the car to the city (about 8 miles). I changed and we took of to town. When getting off the car it was a very strong wind against me, started to snow and there was also 3-4 inches of snow that I have to run in. The conditions were really no good for running I thought.

After a mile or so I was warm but I really ave to struggle both physically and mentally. While running I did a great remark! Running in snow like this is quite similar to barefoot running summertime :-) The similarity lays in the way you run. Running in lot of snow in a ordinary stride and you will almost not come forward depending on the snowy/icy friction. You slipper! Instead you must take shorter steps and more of up and down with your legs. Like when running barefoot you have to run in a special way if you will not get hurt. It was an interesting thought and  "swish" I've ran a couple of miles :-)

When running today I also where thinking of why I'm running at all and especially as far as 140 miles! Well, to answer a question of why I'm running is something I have been trying to answer all my life. Ever since 1969 I think! Well, sometimes I think like this: -It is impossible to explain to someone who does not understand! Well, I could say it's nice, fun, I might live longer... etc and perhaps that's ok but still that's exactly what people suspect me to answer. When I instead say: -It's impossible to... people instead get interested and the questions are more thoughtful :-)

Well, after the horrible, but good, run I came home to see Tour de Ski. A very extreme XC-ski competition (Check out here: http://www.fiscrosscountry.com/place/tour-ski,19.html). A swede came in 2nd place today :-)

A picture directly from my TV of Tour de Ski 2013


Me a week ago when out on my 19,88 mile run :-)

Don't forget to smile even if it's hard out there! Goes less muscles to smile than to cry... That also means less energy!

Easy, Light and Smooth!
/Flexirun


No comments:

Post a Comment